Saturday, January 28, 2012

Drunken Fruit Salsa

I made this salsa to enjoy on top of the bbq chicken for my brother's birthday (see previous post). I made it both "drunken" and "non-drunken" since we were also feeding Everett :) It was my first time eating & making fruit salsa, and I think it was a hit.

Drunken Fruit Salsa
(I doubled it to feed the 7 of us)
1 medium mango, peeled and finely diced**
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 kiwi, peeled and finely diced
3/4 cup pineapple, finely diced
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
1/4 cup rum (leave out if you want it "non-drunken")

Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours, stirring once or twice. Serve on top of bbq chicken! enjoy!
**the best way to cut a mango:
hold the mango so that the longest side of the mango is vertical, essentially you want to have it so the pit is standing vertically. slice top to bottom, curving around the pit as much as possible. When you feel resistance you are likely cutting into the pit, so you want to angle out a little more. Once you have cut off both sides of the pit you want to hold one side in your hand, peel down. Now you will cut into the mango in a checkerboard way. Then you pop the mango inside out, and the mango will be like a porcupine, sticking out so you can easily pop it off the peel.
(I realize these instructions aren't the best, so here is a video on youtube, watch from the 1:30 mark: http://youtu.be/lvLdPjpELyU it really is so much easier to enjoy mangos once you learn this! my mom-in-law taught me)

No comments: